Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Our Happy House's Thanksgiving Menu and Recipes

I can NOT believe Thanksgiving is  next week!  It seems like it was just Halloween yesterday.  This time of year is busy and hectic for everyone but we have to throw in two birthdays to all of the holiday business of December and January so I feel a little overwhelmed most years!  This year is no different, Thanksgiving is next week followed by Middle Sis's birthday in  three and a half weeks after that, followed by Christmas, New Years and then Big Sis will be 13 the end of January!  I have Chrismtas planning and decorating, birthday planning, lots of cooking and baking....need I say more.  My head is already spinning.  I'm going to try my best to just focus on one at a time and not get too overwhelmed. 
 
Today we are talking Turkey and all the other yummy dishes for Thanksgiving.  We aren't having any family visit us this year for Thanksgiving so we are doing a small and personal dinner with our Happy House of 5.  I'm looking forward to cooking and spending time with our little family and probably doing desert at one of our neighbors houses. 
Here is what is on our menu this year:
Since it's just us 5, we don't need a huge turkey.  The Happy Husband likes to fry a Turkey Breast for Thanksgiving, which frees up oven space for me.  We buy this Creole Marinade Kit, usually from Sam's or Walmart.  It comes with marinades and an injector and seasonings for the outside. 
The Happy Husband and our Brother-In-Law frying one a couple of years ago.
They made this pole to lower it down into the oil very carefully.  We don't want to burn down the house!  Make sure you are very careful to follow the directions when measuring the amount of oil you need and pat your turkey dry before submerging it.
FRENCH'S® GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
Asides from the Turkey, this is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE side dish for Thanksgiving.  Actually I make it several times a year because the Happy Husband and I love it so much, our girls not so much, but that's ok then there is more for us!  I follow this recipe and I add shredded cheddar cheese to the mixture.
Picture of Basic Mashed Potatoes Recipe 
I'll make your basic Mashed Potatoes also.  My Dad makes these great garlic mashed potatoes by cutting off the top of a clove of garlic, placing it in tin foil and drizzle it with olive oil and bake it until it's soft and mushy.  Then add this before you mix your mashed potatoes.
 
This is Janelle's Stuffing Recipe from Comfy in the Kitchen.
Corn Casserole
Paula Deen's Corn Casserole
I recently had my first taste of a Corn Casserole at a friend's house and really liked it.  I think I will make this in addition to our Green Bean Casserole this year! 
Ok, so this is where I probably need to step outside of my comfort zone and do something more than just open a can of Cranberry Sauce and slice it.  I don't really care for cranberry sauce, The Happy Husband is the only one who will eat this in our house but I buy it for him.  Maybe I should try a different recipe for this, anyone want to shar one with me?? :)
  
I have a beautiful Red Kitchen Aid Stand Mix so I should really try to make some homemade bread or rolls for our Thanksgiving Dinner.  I really need to start trying out some different dough recipes, but for next week I'll be making a bunch of Pillsbury's yummy crescent rolls because I'm going to keep things simple ;)
 
And now let's talk dessert:
LIBBY'S® Famous Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie is my FAVORITE pie EVERRR!
I follow Libby's Recipe and pile on the Cool Whip!!!!
I'm getting excited for Thanksgiving Dinner now :)

I think I'll have the girl's make these cute
Turkey Cookies that Happy Home Fairy shared.
 
So that's what's on our menu for this year.  I'm looking forward to spending Thanksgiving Day with my girls and husband, watch the Macy's Day Parade, enjoy yummy food with family and friends,  and thank my God for all the blessings in our Happy Lives!

3 comments :

  1. The turkey was good that year :) My hubby looks so young ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so easy and good. Even if you don't eat it as sauce it is awesome as a condiment:

    Ginger Cranberry Sauce
    16 ounces fresh cranberries, picked over and rinsed
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup fresh orange juice
    1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
    Finely grated zest from 1 orange

    • Combine all of the ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the berries pop open, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
    • Skim foam off the surface with a metal spoon and discard. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate, covered, for up to 3 months.

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Leave me a comment that you visited our blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...