Monday, November 12, 2012

Easy Tube Pillowcase Tutorial

Today I'm linking up to Dare to do it yourself @
Grab My Button

Today I'm sharing how I've learned to sew pillow cases.
This is a great project for a beginner sewer, it's all straight lines and very basic.
(I asked for a sewing machine for Christmas two years ago and I've taught myself to sew using You Tube and all the great tutorials online.  I am not an expert!  If I can do this you can too :)
This pillowcase is for my nephew's birthday.  He will be going into a big boy bed soon and these will go great with all the airplane decor in his bedroom.  

For one pillowcase you will need:
27 inches of fabric for the body of the pillow
and 9 inches for the cuff
(Double this if you are making a pair of cases)
Tropicals and Converstaionals Fighter Plane Black from
Fabric.com
Kona Cotton Iron Gray from Fabric.com

Iron the 9 inch cuff fabric in half
Lay it face up on the floor or a large table
Take the body fabric (airplane) and carefully line it up with the top of the cuff fabric.
Roll up the bottom of the body fabric until it is in the middle of the cuff piece as shown above

You are going to line up the bottom of the cuff piece to the top where the two pieces are already line up.  You want to make sure it is straight and even before you start to pin.
Pin all three pieces together
(top of cuff, body and bottom of cuff)
The body piece will remain rolled up inside of this
Sew all the way down from the top to the bottom, backstitching at the top and bottom.
This is what the "tube" will look like once it is sewn

Pull the main fabric out from the inisde of the tube, pulling it inside right. 
All of your stitching will then become inside and the seams will not show
Now take your fabric and turn it inside out and pin together making sure to line up where the two cuff pieces will be touching. 

Sew around the whole pillow starting at the top of the cuff, backstitching both at the beginning and end of the pillowcase.
Clip your corners before turning it inisde right to make for neater corners. 
And there you have a cute pillowcase for a happy airplane loving little boy!!
 {Now I just need to get this to the post office to mail them off.}

I hope this tutorial made sense, let me know if you have any questions!!

Handmade Holiday Gift Idea Swap 






4 comments :

  1. This is such a great tutorial. And I've been wanting to make Christmas pillowcases for a few years. This would be perfect! Thank you so much for linking up to Dare to DIY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids love them!! I've also made birthday themed pillowcases. Once you learn to do it the possibilities are endless :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. What a great gift idea! Thanks for joining the Dare to DIY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be a part of it!!! :) Thanks for saying hello.

      Delete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Leave me a comment that you visited our blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...