Thursday, October 18, 2012

We Can/Can't Play Sign

We are blessed to live on a cul-de-sac with a bunch of families with kids.  All of the kiddos love to play outside together riding their bikes, scooters and tricycles up and down the street, while the parents get together to talk and socialize. 

I can't tell you how many times we've answered the door to see one of the neighbor kids asking if one of the girls can come out to play.  We love that they have great friends to play with but not when we are busy with homework or dinner.  That got me thinking that we need some sort of a sign to hang on our door so we don't have to drop everything we are doing to run to the door. 
I picked up this wooden plaque from Joann's and sanded it down.
I spray painted it black first, sanded it down some, then a few coats of yellow followed by some more sanding to give it that distressed look. 

I'm not great at spray painting but luckily my husband is great at so many things and painting is one of them! 
{Thanks for your help babe!}
After the painting and sanding was finished
I used one of the vinyl stickers I had left over
from my DIY Chalkboard Canisters I made last month.
This time it fit perfect ;)

I used some scrap booking stickers to write
the "we" and "play", and will be keeping some
chalk by the front door for when I need to change
 the sign.  I'm sure the girls will love to help
change the sign when we need to change it. 

Here is the sign all finished!






I LOVE how it turned out!
Easy and Cheap are my kind of projects.
I paid less than $2 for the wood and the same on
the ribbon since I had a coupon for Joann's and I had everything else on hand. 
These would make great neighbor Christmas gifts.
{Ignore the last statement if you happen to be my neighbor}



I link up here:
Monday's: A Better Mom
Thursday's Delightful Order
Saturday's  Positively Splendid
linking up at Today's Creative Blog


19 comments :

  1. What a great idea. I've done something similar but for baby nap times. I'd put a sign on the door saying don't ring the doorbell the baby is sleeping, so the kid's friend's don't ring the bell asking if they can play and wake the baby. I might have to do this too, great for homework times like you mentioned. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a clever idea, I don't know why I never thought of something like this! I'm so glad to be your newest follower, I love your blog:)

    Hugs,
    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! And so cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute and simple, just how I like it Gretchen :)

      Delete
  4. What a super cute idea! I must pass this along to my homeschooling-mother of five sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing thrifty project! I would love for you to come link up at my new weekly linky party Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays at A Jennuine Life. I'm working with a couple of bigger bloggers to feature great projects, so I'm hoping to bring fabulous exposure for participants! http://ajennuinelife.blogspot.com/2013/01/thrifty-to-nifty-thursdays-1.html

    Jenn - A Jennuine Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I am going to try this project! Found you through a linky party and excited to be a new follower! I hope you will visit my site if you get a chance!

    Chrissy
    http://www.thetaylor-house.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over Chrissy have a great day!

      Delete
  7. Now that is genius! It is also really cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute idea!! I'd love you participate in my Pin Me Linky Party. I allow up to 3 links each week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is such a good idea, I don't have kids yet but I want to remember this for when I do :) Would love to see you link up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Leave me a comment that you visited our blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...