Monday, September 10, 2012

Perspective

A change of perspective is something that God has been working with me on for awhile.  I have to admit that being a military wife in general isn't an easy job.  I still feel like I'm new to it and have so much to learn about the Coast Guard and my husbands new job as a pilot. 
 

Flight school took almost two years to complete and that in itself is a very stressful and trying task.  Now that we are at his first air station he is considered a Junior officer, or a new officer to those who don't speak the military lingo, he is at the bottom of the totem pole. 
 
He usually has a 24 hour duty twice a week and since we've been here he is lucky to get one weekend a month off without a duty shift.  What that means is that we don't get a lot of quality family time.  If he works on the weekend, they try to give him a "slider", a day off in return either on the Friday before or Monday after.  That is a great thing but the downfall is that our two oldest daughters will typically be in school on those days so they miss out on some of our family time. 
 
I feel God whispering to me, telling me how blessed we are that my husband has a great job.  His dream job at that, not everyone can say that they get to have their job that they've dreamed about since being a young boy watching the movie Top Gun. 
 
Instead of being resentful for the time he has away from us at work, I'm trying to focus more on all the blessings we have around us.  We are blessed with great family, friends and an awesome new church to call home.  I'll admit it's not always easy but we have choices to make.  I choose to try my hardest to be a supportive and loving wife rather than take out my frustrations on my hard working husband, even if I'm tired and stressed out.
 
Each new day I have to remind myself of this choice, and ask for God's help because it doesn't come naturally.  I look around and see my military friends who are in different branches, that are without their husbands for months at a time, and ask God to bless their families. 
 
What perspective does God want you to change in your life?
 
I'm linking up with Courtney at the Women Living Well blog, where she is sharing a series on Reviving your marriage.
 
 
 


6 comments :

  1. Hello sweet girl! So glad I found your blog. Thank you for coming to mine! I am following you now too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Can't wait to read more from you as well :)

      Delete
  2. So I totally piggy-backed from Ashley's Southern girl's heart - and I believe you are truly blessed to have a husband who is living his dream - it will be a great role model for your kids.

    Can't wait to hear more of your story

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you did! You are so right, he is a great example to look up to.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for posting this! I have been going through the same struggles and frustrations, and have been asking God to transform me. To give me the strength and understanding, (and patience!) to get through it all. Todd is currently detattched for two weeks in Guam, and its been hard. He gets home for two months and then deploys to the desert. For 6 months. I am dreading it, and kind of scared. But we will get through this. God gives us strength, and wont give us more than we can handle. Thank you for your words. And encouraging all of us to look to Him for help.

    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting my new blog Marie! I'm excited and nervous about it all at the same time. I think you are an awesome and very intentional Momma. I'm praying for your family!!
      I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. -Philippians 4:13

      Delete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Leave me a comment that you visited our blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...