Friday, May 17, 2013

Transition Tips: From Sippy Cups to Big Kid Cups

 Today I'm sharing a few tips for transitioning your kiddo from sippy cups to big kid cups.  
 Big Sis is about to turn three years old.  We recently switched her out of her crib into a bunk bed, on the bottom of course.  Next up is ditching the sippy cups.  I will still use a cup with a lid for when we are out and about but when she's home she will now be drinking out of a big kid cup, which she is very excited about!  I bought these fun and colorful plastic cups from IKEA.  


Little Sis feels like her big sisters drinking out of her new cups!  Hope these tips help your family too.

7 comments :

  1. Great tips! My little man is almost a year and 1/2 and I was just wondering when he would be ready to drink from a "big boy" cup on his own. I was just at IKEA today and saw these cups and ALMOST bought them. Oh well, we have plenty of time for that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found them helpful! I guess we are both lucky to have an IKEA nearby, but really any small cups will do :)

      Delete
  2. We started both our girls on regular cups in the beginning. So they had little sips around 6 months. My youngest was drinking from an open cup very well by age 1. In the end though, she has a swallowing disorder and open cups are actually easier as far as swallowing goes so we have really avoided the sippy cups. My oldest was a little over age 1. We always avoided the no spill sippys and encouraged straw cups over them as the no spill cups are related to some speech issues. I don't know I guess we introduce things early at my house! I definately think it is important to do an open cup by age 3 and practice as early as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great information to know Carrie, thanks so much for sharing your experience and knowledge!

      Delete
  3. Good simple tips! Thanks so much! Our little boy is getting really interested in using "big kid cups" and with water I'm A-OK, but so nervous about milk & other drinks.
    - Lora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lora, yeah its a great idea to start with water for practice :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I need this for my three year old. Pinned this. I think my MOPS friends would love this! Join us for Family Fun Friday. Share your posts with 100+ bloggers and 400+ readers. If you have time, please link this at:
    http://happyandblessedhome.com/category/family-fun/
    Thanks!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Leave me a comment that you visited our blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...