Thursday, April 4, 2013

Breastfeeding Tips for New Momma's


When I had my first baby thirteen years ago I was very young and didn't really know much about breastfeeding.  I knew that it was the best food for her, so I figured I would give it a try and see how it went.  If only I knew then what I know now!  Being a young single Momma only added to the stress of trying to successfully breastfeed my newborn.  It didn't last but a few weeks actually and I was very disappointed in myself for not lasting longer, but I was doing what I had to do at the time.  The fact that she had those weeks of nursing was beneficial to her regardless of how long it lasted.

Fast forward five years, I was older and happily married now and gave birth to another beautiful baby girl.  I remember sitting in her nursery days after we came home for the hospital.  I was rocking her while breastfeeding her and just sat there and cried.  I was regretting how different my first born's coming home and few weeks of nursing had gone.  I sat there wishing things had been different for her and I.  This time things were going to be different I promised myself!  During my second pregnancy I did a lot of research, I read many books on Breastfeeding, attended classes at the hospital and started attending meetings at La Leche League

Having a support group of other nursing Mommas, books and the internet was such an important thing to how I was able to be more successful this time around.  My husbands Aunt was a Nurse at the hospital and offered to come see my while we were at the hospital those couple of days.  She showed me different positions to nurse and made sure she had a good latch.  Everything was going really well until she had her first check up at the Pediatricians office.  She had jaundice and the Doctor wanted me to stop nursing!  He wanted me to give her bottles of formula for at least a week and then get her levels checked again.  My Momma heart was so determined to be successful this time and giving her a bottle was something I was totally against because I was scared she would have nipple confusion.  Long story short, my husband attempted to give her a couple of bottles while I sat in the other room crying because I was heart broken.  I couldn't handle it though and decided to follow my gut instinct and nurse her more frequently in addition to getting her in the sun as much as I could while we lived in cold New York during those winter months.  Her check up showed that she was doing better, it took some time but her jaundice went away just fine without giving up hope on our breastfeeding dreams.

Looking back I wish I had done more research on the Pediatricians in the area and found one that was more up-to-date and supportive of breastfeeding.  Baby girl number two and I nursed happily for eight months, even though my goal was to make it to one year.  Around eight months is when she started to bite me and we went out of town for my Grandfather's funeral.  The stress of the trip and her biting me is what lead to our end.  I had never heard of a "Nursing Strike" before otherwise I may have tried a little harder to continue with nursing. 

Another five years, yes I like our five year spread, and we had baby girl number three.  Backed with more experience and knowledge this time, I was praying that nursing would go smoother this time.  Luckily it did and we doubled our nursing time, we lasted sixteen months!  It was very bittersweet when she had weaned herself slowly, but my heart knew it was time. 
Here are a some of my favorite tips for the New Breastfeeding Momma:

My number one recommendation for the new nursing Momma is to go buy yourself some Lansinoh cream to help with the sore nipples.  Don't let anyone lie to you and tell you it's not going to hurt at first.  They will be sore and possibly crack for awhile, this cream is AMAZING and worth every penny!  You can also hand express some breast milk onto your sore, cracked nipples and allow the milk to use their super healing power.
Lansinoh® HPA® Lanolin
Buy some good quality nursing bras.  I could not wear any bra with an under wire in it.  The pressing of the wire under my arms gave me plugged ducts and turned into Mastitis.  You'll also need Breast Pads, I preferred washable pads instead of the disposable ones. 
Philips AVENT Washable Nursing Pads, 6-Count

If your dealing with moderate to severe engorgement in the beginning, wash some cabbage leaves and place them in the fridge.  You can place them as compresses between nursings for up to twenty minutes but no more than three times a day as it could possibly decrease your supply.  When my milk first came in and I was really engorged with milk, I would stand in the warm shower for a few minutes and massage to get the milk flowing and then nurse my baby.  Cool compacts and/or the cabbage leaves can help after your nursing session. 
 
I also found these Nuk Warm or Cool Relief Pads helpful
NUK® Warm or Cool Relief Pads
Nursing in public is a personal choice.  There are many stylish nursing covers these days for the modest Momma.  It was very uncomfortable for me at first but with experience it became more comfortable and part of our every day.
 

I found it helpful to own a Boppy Pillow to help hold up the baby while nursing.  I have a bad back so any help I could get I took.  I also used pillows to further prop my baby. 
Default Image
 I hope my story and tips are helpful to you!  Knowledge is power so do your research and get involved with the Breastfeeding Community in your area. 

1 comment :

  1. Great suggestions! I had a wonderful friend who told me about the Lansinoh - I used it starting about 2 months before giving birth. I didn't had trouble with pain or cracking.

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Leave me a comment that you visited our blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...