Friday, February 22, 2013

Turn your Fears into Prayer Requests


Lately I've been struggling with the idea that my daughters are growing up.  Everyone who has kids always tells you that they grow up fast, I'm guilty myself of telling that to people who just had a baby.  It's not until you look back at pictures in your old photo albums or have a life event, such as your child entering their teen years, that you suddenly realize just how fast the time flew by.

Everyday seems to fly by, the weeks turn into months and suddenly its another new year.  I have the best intentions of being the fun-loving, happy go lucky Mom that I always dreamed of being.  Somehow life gets busy and I become emotional, abrupt and defensive towards my daughters and my husband.  I'm so glad that I've come to know of Gods perfect grace, that I can call to him for guidance and ask for him to forgive me when I'm not the Mom and Wife he calls me to be.

Part of the girls growing up so fast has lead me to have fear and to be anxious over their futures.  My oldest turned 13 and within the past few months she has changed from a little girl into a young lady who wants to experiment with eye shadow, fashion and now is showing interest in boys.  I'm so not ready for these teenage years and honestly it frightens me because of the past choices I've made.  If you're new here you can read more of my personal testimony here on how I had a baby at the young age of 19 while I was unwed. 

God has perfect timing, just the past couple of weeks at BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) we have been learning about Abraham and his son Isaac.  Abraham was a righteous man who walked closely with God and raised his children to do the same.  Even though Isaac had a wonderful Godly Father to learn from he still made mistakes and sinned.  The generational sin was passed down between Father and Son when it could have possibly been avoided if Abraham had shared more of his past mistakes of following his own will instead of Gods. 

Talk about perfect timing, I'm struggling with the idea of my daughters getting older and experiencing things like boyfriends, peer pressure, drugs, alcohol and sex.  I've been wrestling with trying to find just the right thing to say about having a boyfriend and what rules to put into place and that's when it hit me like a ton of bricks.  I may never have the perfect words for each new experience that my daughters go through, but what I do have is even better.  I have Jesus to turn to for help with these unchartered territories.  I have the Holy Spirit within me to guide my thoughts and help me to find just the right words at the right time.  I can use my past experiences to talk with my daughters about how my sins affected me and how I could have turned to God for his help.  It will be something that I have to pray.  How much information I share with them will depend on when I feel led by the Holy Spirit that the timing is right. 

Bottom line is that we as Mothers do not have anything to worry and be anxious over.  We must take our worries and turn them into prayer requests.  Simply leave it at the cross of Jesus because after all he is the one in control of our childrens lives.  He loves them more than we ever could.  Thank you Lord for allowing me to be their Mother and for speaking this lesson into my heart. 

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6
 
"I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him.  So now I give him to the Lord. For his whole life will be given over to the Lord."  1 Samuel 1:27-28
 
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philipians 4:6
 

16 comments :

  1. You worded it beautifully, leaning not upon your own understanding and from the heart! God is good...all the time! Being in BSF will be a firm foundation for you. I loved my 18 years and The Lord supplied, supplies all our needs when we turn to Him. Use scripture to guide your actions, words and thoughts. He will water, we wait, you'll see! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vickie! Thank you for your wonderful example :)

      Delete
  2. Very much agree with you on this beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Lindsey and love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankful I stopped by this morning. Great word! I noticed the Coast Guard mentioned in your header. We are retired Coasties! Happy Saturday.

    http://positivelyalene.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small world Alene :). Thanks for stopping by!! Enjoy the weekend

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this beautiful post. My "kids" aren't "kids" anymore (they're 19 and 22), but I still have fears about their future constantly. I needed to read this today. Stopped by from Saturday Sharefest, and I'm glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great sharing. As a parent, I have too many fear and anxieties concerning my children. But then I realized that worrying is a waste of time. When you rely on God, it means you let go and let God work. I just to have surrender in prayer. Thanks for the beautiful reminder.

    Stopping by from SITS. Happy Sharefest,
    -Honeybee
    http://herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it right on the head!! Thanks for your sweet comments

      Delete
  7. I loved this post. Your daughters are so lucky to have such a caring, humble, reflective and faithful mom.
    Gianina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog from pinterest. I love what I see, uplifting and Christ centered. I only have one little 2 year old boy right now, but I have the same worries and thoughts as you. I'm LDS (mormon) and just wanted to share this website that our church has made for the youth. Christians need to pull together and uplift each other! The youth in our church follow these guidelines. Follow this link for the pdf version.

    https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/ForTheStrengthOfYouth-eng.pdf?lang=eng

    https://www.lds.org/youth/for-the-strength-of-youth?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a four year old *boy*, so I don't have the slightest clue what it's like to raise teenage girls. But, I do remember *being* one. I will definitely be praying for you and you navigate this new territory and for your girls as they grow up and, no doubt, face temptations and trials.

    Thanks so much for sharing this with The Bliss Project!

    http://www.domesticblissdiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this and love your blog! i'm so glad you shared with me. uh - the daddy doll. i need to know more about this.

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Leave me a comment that you visited our blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...