Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Crock Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage

My family is part Irish and we LOVE Corned Beef and Cabbage. We definitely have it every Saint Patrick's Day but we also have it on and off throughout the year because we all love it so much, even the kids.  Well I take that back, they don't like the cabbage so I try to buy a small head of cabbage for my husband and I and I'll make another vegetable to go with it. 
I've learned over the years to buy the "Flat Cut" brisket as they tend to be less fatty.  You have to really look at all of the packages and try to find the one with the least amount of fat. 
I put the brisket along with the packet of seasonings that it comes with, into a crock pot and cover it with water.  If I have an onion in the pantry I'll cut it into quarters and  throw that in there too, if not I'll sprinkle some Minced Onion into the pot.  Cover and turn your Crock Pot on low, cook for at least 8 hours. 
An hour and a half before your ready to eat, slice your cabbage and carrots.  Place them into the Crock Pot with the brisket.  Cover and continue to cook for the last hour and a half.  (I don't like hard or mushy cabbage and I've found the hour and a half to be just the right amount of cooking time)
Take out your brisket and cut it against the grain. 
You can serve it with potatoes or pasta.  We like to drizzle ours with apple cider vinegar. 
This is an easy and delicious meal for even the busy Momma!

4 comments :

  1. We love corned beef and cabbage as well ... and especially on St. Patrick's Day! Thanks so much for linking up at Project Inspire{d}!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmm I can't wait for St. Patty's day!!! My hubby is Italian and doesn't like this for some strange reason....more for me!!! ;)

    Stopping in from SITS

    Happy Sharefest!!
    The 5th Level of Motherhood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you explain to me why you call this 'corned beef'? Here in the UK corned beef to us is a tin of cooked beef, shredded with ..possibly suet...and packed into a funny shaped tin! What you have cooked - and it looks lovely - is what I'd call a pot roast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne! Hmm I guess the US and UK corned beef is different from each other :) It comes already "corned" in the package. A pot roast to me is a brisket that has not been corned. Thanks for saying hello :)

      Delete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Leave me a comment that you visited our blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...