Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Easy Baby Quilts for Beginners



This summer I made my very first children's quilt for a great cause called Quilts for Kids.  You can request a Quilt Kit and they will send you almost everything you need to make a small quilt for an ill child.  The only thing you have to provide is the batting and the postage to mail the finished quilt back to the company for distribution.  
As a beginner I felt this was a great way to practice and serve others!  I loved working on that quilt and prayed over it as I was sewing for the child that would receive it.  
This is what the kit contains, everything is already cut for you....perfect for a beginner!!
You can find two great tutorials to make one of these quilt's at Ashley's blog, Make it & Love it .  She walks you through step by step!

and
How to Quilt and Bind 


This is a quilt that I made as a Christmas gift for my Niece.

I bought these Riley Blake "Happy Ever After" 5 inch pre-cut squares from the Fat Quarter Shop.
I picked up the white and yellow fabric from my local Joann's.


Thumbnail
My favorite quilting tutorials on You tube have been through Missouri Star Quilt Company.  They have a series of 4 videos that walk you through making a baby quilt using charm packs.  Charm packs are the packs of pre-cut squares that I showed you above.
Follow her step-by-step instructions to get started on a baby quilt yourself!
Fabric Selection and Assembly
Borders 
Preparing and Quilting 
Fabric Selection and Assembly

I made me Neice's quilt by following these videos and finished it by using Ashley's tutorials.
I may make another Quilt for the Kids program this year.  Won't you join me in blessing those kiddos?  Let me know if you plan to :)

4 comments :

  1. This is easy?! Really! Haha, one day I will take the time to sit down and really learn to do this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!
      I was so intimidated by sewing a couple of years ago and still am to the things I haven't attempted yet but these videos are so helpful for a beginner! Thanks for saying hello, you made my day :)

      Delete
  2. Can you give info about getting involved in making the quilts for sick children? I would love to participate! Trish Hanson

    ReplyDelete
  3. check with your local fabric type stores. Not the big chains but the mom and pop type ones. Our local store does quilts for sick children once a year. They take one saturday and people come and go to help make them.

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Leave me a comment that you visited our blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...